Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Goa & Tamilpadam

I saw two of the lighter-vein Tamil movies released in the last fortnight: Goa and Tamilpadam. The former was a typical Venkat Prabhu movie with a clear intent of not having a single 'serious' scene; more than a movie, as the director himself portrays towards the end, it was like a holiday and for the audience it was a holiday very well spent. On the other hand, Tamilpadam had been floating around with a lot more hype thanks to the media houses backing the Production house. There were scenes which do capture one's attention at first sight but there was not much content to sustain that attention. There are some funky scenes in the movie but it seems to be stretched too far to fit the number of reels requirement of a typical Indian movie. I must admit I felt a bit sleepy during the second half and I had the feeling I am stuck in a Mumbai local passing Malad station when I need to get down at Churchgate. In spite of the novelty factor and a meaningful song in the movie, Tamilpadam is of the boring movies I have seen in the recent past.

Goa - please go and watch. Tamil padam - stay away.

3 comments:

Vijay said...

Haven't watched either, but the comments that I have heard so far are diametrically opposite.

Unknown said...

One other reason I didn't like Tamilpadam was that it just depended on the characters, old guys with young actors' names - like Nakul, Bharath, Siddharth - and repeated the same exact scenes from the original movies without any change whatsoever - without any context in the movie.

I have also read some reviews against Goa - but all of us who went to the movie together and others back in Chennai also liked the movie, though not to my extent.

Anonymous said...

Tamil padam Is awsum...........