Saturday, May 20, 2006

Vegetarianism

I am currently reading "My Experiments with Truth" by Mahatma Gandhi. In one of the chapters, Gandhiji talks about vegetarianism. He classifies vegetarianism into three types. Type 1, every thing except flesh of beasts and birds. This type would include fish and egg into vegetarian foods. Type 2, every thing except flesh of animals. This would still include eggs but not fish. Type 3, every thing except flesh of animals and their products. This type will exclude eggs but also milk! These are the only three definitions Gandhiji offers for vegetarianism. Unfortunately, I do not belong to any of these three categories.

I was shocked to learn that Gandhiji took meat for about a year before going to England. This is the third autobiography I am reading (I have not completed the other two as well), but one thing that stands out this time is Gandhiji's readiness in expressing his weaknesses and failures. Jack Welch and Akio Morita talked more about their strengths and successes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good observation about the content of the respective autobiographies.